Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sitting at His feet

I often wonder...what are You teaching me, Lord? In all of this, what is my lesson?

As I have struggled the last two weeks with injury and illness, I have tried to see what my lesson might be. I long to have plans, structure, to know what is on the schedule and be ready to take it all in stride.....as long as it goes according to plan. Well, the injury was not a planned thing, really neither was the surgery. It had been planned later, but not now! So I am finding that the Lord is teaching me, that it isn't about MY schedule but HIS. I am able to sit at his feet and learn from Him, right here, right now....in this unplanned stage of my life. May I honor Him in all I say and do. This is a portion of my devotion this morning, it really spoke to my heart. Maybe it will speak to yours.


He is Waiting for You

Mary Southerland

Today's Truth
"Now as they went on their way, He entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home" (Luke 10:38, NIV).

Seeking God begins with recognizing who He is and then inviting Him into our life as Lord and Savior. If He is not Lord of all, then He is not Lord at all. For some of us, the problem is not that we lack a personal relationship with God. Our problem is that we are not "making room" for that relationship. Balance comes when we yield to His plan in the everyday moments of life.

Mary's home revealed a world very different from mine and an uncommonly simplistic lifestyle I desperately longed to experience. The house was sparsely furnished with only the necessities but Mary described her life and daily routine with words like "calm, uncomplicated, peaceful and serene." When I asked why she had chosen such a lifestyle she sweetly responded with words of wisdom I will never forget, "I have discovered that when my life and my heart get too crowded there is not enough room for God." Exactly!

An unbalanced life is too crowded for God. It is so easy to relegate our spirituality to religious activity when all He really wants is to spend time with us. When the tears fall, He wants to wipe them away, collecting each one so that He can pour them back into our lives as a refreshing rain of restoration. God longs for us to forever run into His arms, sharing every hurt and rejoicing in every victory. The Father yearns to wrap His strong arms around us, bringing the peace and balance we so desperately need.

Instead, we often relinquish control of our life to unworthy demands dictated by a world that operates in "urgent" gear. We forget what is really important. The important rarely barges in while the urgent is always an offensive intruder. The important waits patiently while the urgent demands its own way, creating bedlam and imbalance. Certainly, there are times when the important is also urgent - but we must learn to discern between the two. We wrongly conclude that a busy life is automatically a productive life and think that a full schedule will surely produce a full heart.

I have great news! He loves who you are more than He loves what you do. Seek Him today. Make room for Him. He is waiting.

No comments: